Is your toilet stuck? Have you tried everything to unclog it, but nothing seems to work? Are you about to give up and call a plumber?
Nobody enjoys the experience of clearing out a clogged toilet. Sometimes when you can’t seem to find a solution, it can be frustrating. There are many reasons why toilets become clogged, such as too much toilet paper, flushing objects that you shouldn’t flush, or a build-up of waste and debris.
Before calling a pro, try these things to unclog your toilet yourself.
The following are some suggestions for removing a clog from a toilet when nothing else seems to work.
8 Ways On How To Unclog Toilet When Nothing Works
One never knows when a clogged toilet will occur. It’s helpful to be prepared for when this happens by learning the most effective strategies for dealing with it.
Some of the solutions listed below may clear your clogged toilet in a matter of minutes, while others may require a little more effort. But it’s important to remember that most toilet clogs can be fixed without calling a plumber.
Unclogging a toilet using a plunger is a tried-and-true method.
To use a toilet plunger:
- Make sure there’s a good amount of water in the toilet bowl, enough to submerge the plunger’s cup.
- Simply position the plunger over the drain.
- Then, forcefully push and pull it. You may need to do this a few times before the clog is dislodged and the water begins to drain.
- If the plunger doesn’t seem to be working, try using a plunger with an extended flange or a toilet auger.
➁ Dish soap and Hot Water
If a plunger doesn’t do the trick, try using liquid dish soap and hot water.
- Prepare one or two liters of water by boiling them in a pot on the stove and letting them cool off a bit before employing this approach.
- Next, add a few tablespoons of dish detergent to the toilet bowl.
- After you put in the soap, fill the container with hot water and let it settle for a while. If the clog persists after a few minutes, try flushing the toilet again.
➂ Vinegar and Baking Soda
You can remove a toilet clog with baking soda and white vinegar, both of which can be found in most kitchens.
- Combined, they create a chemical reaction that can help break up clogs.
- First, fill the toilet bowl with a cup of baking soda.
- Then pour in a mug of vinegar and give the whole thing ten to fifteen minutes to sit.
- After allowing the mixture to sit for a while, flush the toilet to determine if the clog has been removed. If the obstruction persists, you will need to repeat the process.
This method is relatively inexpensive and does not require any special tools or skills.
➃ Toilet Auger
If the techniques mentioned above are unsuccessful, you may require a toilet auger ( plumbing snake). A toilet snake is a tool designed specifically for unclogging toilets. It consists of a long, flexible cable that can be inserted into the toilet bowl and used to clear clogs.
If you’ve never used a toilet auger before, you must read the included directions before attempting to use one. These procedures will help you avoid toilet issues and properly utilize the equipment.
- Put on gloves beforehand, so you don’t contaminate your hands with trash as you work.
- To begin, insert the snake tool’s bottom end into the toilet and push down gently until you meet some resistance.
- The next step is to press and turn the snake’s handle clockwise to force the toilet clog down the drain physically; you will know when the snake is pushing against something.
- Keep turning and pushing until you feel the snake tool come out of the other side of the clog or until you reach the end of the cable. Make sure the toilet is free of waste by flushing it afterward.
➄ Hot Water and a Wire Hanger
This method uses boiling water to help break up a clog.
- First, boil some water. You may get some work done by straightening up a metal wire hanger while you wait for the water to boil.
- Once it has boiled, slowly pour it into the toilet bowl until it is about halfway full.
- Then, attempt to dislodge the obstruction with the wire hanger. If the clog persists, you will need to repeat the process
➅ Enzyme Product
Enzyme products are designed to break down organic matter, which can help to clear a clog.
To use an enzyme product, simply follow the instructions on the package. Most products will need to be left in the toilet overnight, so it’s important to plan ahead before using this method.
Put some in the toilet bowl, and let it sit for a while. The enzymes will break down the material causing the blockage and making it easy to flush away. If the clog persists, you will need to repeat the process.
➆ Chemical Drain Cleaner
Chemical drain cleaner is designed to break down even the toughest clogs. This will help you to use the product safely and effectively.
- Pour the drain cleaner into the toilet bowl and let it sit for the amount of time specified on the package.
- If the clog hasn’t been cleared after the allowed period, try flushing the toilet.
- If the obstruction persists, you will need to repeat the process.
➇ Call a Plumbing Service
If none of these solutions has helped, it’s time to call a plumber. A plumber can unclog even the most stubborn drains with the right equipment and expertise.
When calling a plumber, describe the problem in detail so they can be prepared with the proper tools. In most cases, a plumber can clear a clog quickly and efficiently.
Tips To Prevent Toilet Clogs
The best way to avoid a clogged toilet is to practice prevention. Some simple tips include:
✅Dispose of feminine hygiene products, diapers, and other trash in the garbage can instead of flushing them down the toilet.
✅Never flush cat litter, coffee grounds, or grease down the drain.
✅Don’t pour chemicals down the drain.
✅Consider installing a toilet plunger in each bathroom for easy clog removal.
✅Don’t flush large amounts of toilet paper at once.
✅Regularly inspect your toilet for signs of a clog, such as slow draining or water backing up into the bowl.
✅If you see a clog forming, you should try to remove it quickly.
If you keep these easy tips in mind, you should be able to keep your home’s toilets from becoming clogged.
Knowing how to unclog toilet when nothing works is important because a clogged toilet can be a huge inconvenience. Following these measures can help prevent clogs. And if a clog does occur, you’ll know exactly what to do to get your toilet flowing freely again.