It’s sad to say that people may suffer a slip-and-fall accident at some point in their lives. Moreover, they often overlook the dangers associated with this kind of mishap.
Whether they’ve tripped over something or slipped on a wet area, a slip-and-fall accident may cause debilitating and severe injuries, including head trauma, back and spine injuries, and broken bones.
Thus, if you’ve been involved in such an accident, it’s essential to know what steps to take after the fact. This is especially true if you believe your injuries were caused by the negligence of the property owner. When this happens, you may have the right to seek compensation for all your losses.
- Below are the things you should do immediately if you encounter a slip-and-fall accident:
- Get Yourself Checked
When a slip-and-fall accident happens, your health should always be your priority. Sometimes, injuries arising from this unfortunate event may not become apparent right away. Because of this, it’s best to seek medical attention so any hidden injuries will be properly treated.
Moreover, by seeing a doctor after what happened, you can make sure all your injuries will be documented. This documentation may constitute an essential piece of evidence in case you decide to pursue a personal injury claim against the at-fault party.
- Hire An Attorney
If you think your accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, then filing a legal action against the responsible party can be a good idea. When this happens, the person to be at your side is a dedicated personal injury attorney. Just like other injury cases, dealing with slip-and-fall accidents can be complicated and confusing.
For this reason, it’s best to work with a legal professional to protect your rights and recover the compensation you rightfully deserve. By hiring them, you can take advantage of a highly personalized and aggressive legal service for your case. If you want to know more about the basics of a personal injury claim, and how an attorney, say, in Panama City, or wherever you may be located, can help you, you may click here fasigbrooks.com for more information.
- Identify The Cause of The Accident
To properly deal with the situation, it’s crucial that you know the cause of your slip and fall. Typically, there are plenty of hazards that can cause you to slip or fall in a certain property. These can include uneven surfaces, moisture, loose or torn carpet, and many more.
Once you determine the culprit of the accident, take note of it until you alert the property owner about what happened. In this way, it’ll be much easier to prove your claim and obtain compensation for your injuries.
- Report The Accident to The Owner of The Concerned Property
If you encounter a slip-and-fall accident, one of the things you should do is to report what happened to the owner of the property. Although your inability to notify about the accident won’t prevent you from filing a lawsuit against the at-fault property owner, you should do it as soon as possible to avoid harming your claim. This is especially true if the mishap was unwitnessed.
Generally, insurance companies as well as the juries in court may find the claim illegitimate if you failed to report the unwitnessed accident within the fastest time possible such as the next day. As a result, you may jeopardize your chances of getting compensated for your injuries and maximize your recovery of becoming physically fit again. To make sure it won’t happen, make sure the property owner knows of your slip-and-fall accident and your injury.
- Start An Injury Claim
Now that you report the accident to the property owner, it’s time to start an injury claim with the help of an experienced attorney. To get this job done right, the following are some things to consider when filing an injury claim:
- Collect essential information: Make sure you have adequate documentation of the slip-and-fall accident you encountered. This means you should gather the names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers of all people involved, including the witnesses. Their statements, for instance, are crucial in proving your claim and ensuring you receive the right amount of compensation.
Also, don’t forget to list down other important information such as what you were doing before the accident happened, the time and date, the way you fell or tripped, and many others. Once you have these documents in place, it can be a good idea to maintain a case file to stay organized throughout the legal process.
- Take photos: Be sure to take pictures that may cause the accident. This can be an area that contains the hazard. For example, if you slipped due to a slippery or wet floor, take some photos of the accident scene before it’s cleaned.
- Keep the clothes and shoes you wore when the slip-and-fall happened: Don’t clean or wash your clothes even after the mishap happened. That’s because any dirt, blood, or damage on these things may serve as evidence of the seriousness of your slip and fall injuries.
- Don’t give statements: Despite what happened, be sure to remain calm, and don’t ever give statements to anyone except the concerned property owner. Also, refrain from posting any information related to the accident on social media channels. Make sure you have an attorney at your side before giving any statements. Don’t assign or accept blame until the case has been investigated.
- Don’t miss your medical appointments: If you tend to miss your scheduled medical treatments, the insurance company may assume that your slip and fall injuries aren’t serious which can affect the validity of your claim. So, if you have injuries that aren’t fully healed, then make sure to get to all your medical appointments to protect your chances of receiving compensation.
The Bottom Line
Indeed, the injuries sustained as a result of a slip-and-fall accident can be devastating. Depending on their seriousness, they can change your life forever. For this reason, it’s within your right to file a personal injury claim to recover compensation against the at-fault property owner.
And by following the things mentioned above, you can handle your situation more efficiently. With the help of a reliable personal injury attorney, you can rest knowing your rights are protected from beginning to end.